Packing every bite with the finest ingredients, Giovanni Rana has been recognised as a symbol of good taste and quality products, creating fresh pasta for people to enjoy at home for more than 50 years.
Join Giovanni Rana in the Italian kingdom of pleasure, the kitchen, to discover the perfect pairing between prince of the condiments, the olive oil, and queen of the kitchen, the pasta. With such unique simplicity, the fundamental balance between the two will enhance your whole dining experience.
If you have the luxury of time, why not try Mr Giovanni Rana’s unique recipe for these traditional Italian treasures: Mozeralla, tomato and olive ravioli with pesto Genovese, using his short film and the recipe below.
Pasta preparation: 30 mins
Cooking: 4 minutes
What you will need:
For the Pasta Dough
140g All purpose flour
For the Mozzarella, Tomatoes & Olives Filling
30gr mozzarella, chopped
4 cherry tomatoes, chopped
10 olives, chopped
15g Parmigiano cheese
Pinch of oregano
Pinch of salt and pepper
For the sauce – Pesto Genovese
25g Parmigiano cheese
5 soup spoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ cloves of garlic
50g pine nuts
Pinch of salt
1. Put the flour with the salt in a large bowl.
2. Make a well in the middle then crack the eggs into the well, one at a time. Using your fingertips, mix well and begin to knead the fresh mixture into fresh dough.
3. Put the dough on a table and knead well with both hands until the dough is smooth and elastic, rolling it out using a rolling pin if needed.
4. Now for your filling; mix the ricotta, mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, olives and Parmesan, adding a pinch of oregano, salt and pepper.
5. For the sauce: inside a mixer put the ingredients in the following order: basil, extra virgin oil, Parmigiano, salt and garlic. Mix all until the ingredients turn into a creamy and minced sauce.
6. Toast the pine nuts for about 5 – 10
7. Roll the pasta to as thin as possible and using a pasta cutter or a knife, gently cut into squares.
8. Spoon out a teaspoon of the filling into the centre of each pasta square.
9. Now for the ravioli; carefully fold each pasta square diagonally and pinch the edges until closed. Then bring the corners together with your fingers and squeeze together.
10. Cook the ravioli in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water and simmer gently for 4 minutes, avoiding overcooking.
11. Drain the ravioli thoroughly and finish by serving with the pesto sauce on top. Finally add the toasted pine nuts.
Cook’s tip: If you don’t have all of the fresh ingredients available, why not try Giovanni Rana’s Simply Italian fresh filled pasta range, available in six delicious varieties including chicken & mozzarella, spinach & ricotta and Italian cheeses. Based on homemade Italian family recipes, they are simple and quick to prepare in less than 5 minutes. RRP £1.99.