Comfort food is something we all turn to now and again as the winter months approach. This glorious sticky ginger cake recipe from Duerr’s is perfect for your Christmas parties or just as a tasty winter treat to bake at home. Time: 50 mins / Makes 1 medium sized cake. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
For the cake:
200g dark muscovado sugar
125g golden syrup
100g Duerr’s Chunky Ginger Preserve
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g self raising flour
½ tsp mixed spice
2 tsp ground ginger
For the Icing:
1tbs Duerr’s Chunky Ginger Preserve
½ lemon, juice only
3tbs icing sugar, sifted
What to do:
1) Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/Gas 4.
2) Line a 20cm diameter round tin with non-stick paper.
3) Melt the butter, sugar and syrup over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add the Ginger Preserve, stir until melted then remove from the heat and stir in the bicarb of soda.
4) Weigh the flour into a bowl and add the mixed spice and ground ginger. Beat the eggs with the milk, tip into the flour then pour in the melted butter mixture.
5) Mix well with a whisk until a thick batter consistency. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 35-40 minutes (a skewer comes out clean if the cake is ready). Set aside to cool.
6) Make the icing by gently warming the Ginger Preserve then stirring in the lemon juice and icing sugar. Drizzle over the top of the cake.